Tuesday 22 July 2014

Tutorial for an Easy Quilt Binding



The double border : my favorite method!

Baby quilt binding
Baby quilt

This is the method I find the best, and that I use every time I have to bind a quilt.

For a finished border of 8mm width, cut stripes of 5cm width. The length of the strip
will be equal to the perimeter of your quilt + 30cm (for the corners and the ending).

    Cutting

    Put two strips perpendicular on each other, right side against right side :


    Sew them diagonally :

    Sewing

    Trim seam at 1/2cm


    Open and press seam :


    Fold the angle :

    Fold angle

    Cut a 1/2cm :

    Trim seam

    Fold the strip on the whole length :

    Stripe folded

    To start, open the strip and sew it on the right side of the quilt,
     in the middle of one side, for about 7cm :

    Machine sewing

    Then fold back the strip and sew it all along the quilt :

    Machine sewing

    Stop at 1/2cm from the edge, cut the thread, 
    turn and go on sewing as shown :

    Corner

    To stop and start again, I use the smallest stitch possible,
    instead of a backstitch.

    Corner

    At the end, I push the end of the strip inside the place
    left open at the beginning :
    Ending

    And I go on sewing, backstitch to stop.

    Ended

    It is not important if there is a little fold on the wrong side
    as it does not appear on the right side :

    Turned border

    To finish, I turn the border on the wrong side,
    and sew it by hand.

    Border angle
    Finshed border

    I hope my explanations have been clear enough, and will have been of help for those who need. For the beginners, next time I will give some tips on how to hand sew this border on the back side.  

    Have a great week-end. Greetings from me.

    Christine



    See Christine Feldstein's brilliant blog.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment